Prospective Parents - September 2021 Intake
Dear prospective parents and carers,
Welcome to Stalyhill Infant School! Thank you so much for considering us as your child's first school, we are so sorry that you are unable to come and look around in person this year. We understand what a huge decision choosing your child's school is and it has only been made more difficult due to the circumstances we find ourselves in this year.
We have therefore set up this page on our website with you in mind and we hope it will give you a flavour of what life is like at Stalyhill Infants and enable you to get a feel for our ethos, culture and learning style.
Here are some helpful facts about us that you need to know;
- We are an Infant only school. This means we only have Reception (EYFS), Year 1 and Year 2 (KS1) children in our school.
- We are a 2-form entry school. This means that we have 60 children in each year group. 180 children in total across school.
- After the children finish their time with us, most of our children then move on to Stalyhill Junior School, although you can at that point choose alternative KS2 provision if you wish. Even though Stalyhill Infant School and Stalyhill Junior School share the same name, we are two completely separate schools and are not linked in any way. In order for your child to attend Stalyhill Junior School parents do have to submit a separate application (it is not an automatic transfer). This happens when your child is in Year 2 and we will remind you! When selecting Stalyhill Infant School as your choice of school, please therefore be mindful that this will mean two points of transition for your child.
There is a large amount of information contained on our website and we recommend that you spend sometime exploring it, as it may answer some or all of the questions that you have about school.
Some key pages to look at would be;
- SEND (found under Key Information)
- How we keep your child safe (found under Key Information)
and for this year particularly;
- How we are managing COVID-19 (found under Parents)
Useful Information handout
Below you will find a link to a YouTube video showing a full tour of our school. This is designed to replace the 'in-person' show-round that you would normally have at this time of year.
We hope that the video gives you a clear insight into the layout of our school building and the learning opportunities that we offer at Stalyhill Infant School.
Some important points to note as you watch the video are;
- Our Reception classroom is a large, open-plan space. This classroom holds all 60 Reception children together and, despite being very well managed, can at times be a busy and noisy environment. When you watch the video, please consider whether this type of environment is right for your child. In our experience, most children cope well and flourish in this environment, however it may not suit all children.
- Our Reception class also has it's own outdoor learning area that is not shown in the video. This is used as part of learning time and not for lunch or breaktimes.
- The cloakrooms and toilets in Reception are all self-contained within the one room so the only time the Reception children need to leave the main room is to eat lunch and access the playground.
- Our Year 1 and Year 2 classes are in separate classrooms of 30 children. They access their toilets through the cloakroom.
- Each class is led by a teacher and, in Reception, there are also 2 full-time teaching assistants. Year 1 and Year 2 share a teaching assistant between the two classes in each year group and we have an additional teaching assistant who works with children with additional needs. Liam, our sports coach comes in and works with each class every week.
- All children play on the main playground at break times and lunch times every day and lunch is eaten in the hall.
Now please enjoy our Stalyhill Infant School video tour. We are very proud of our school and hope that you choose to join us soon!
At Stalyhill Infant School, we pride ourselves on the quality of learning experiences and opportunities we provide for our children.
As an Infant school we are able to solely focus on the EYFS and KS1 and ensure that we build strong foundations for learning in all our children, enabling them to move forward successfully as learners as they leave us and move on.
We focus heavily on the skills of being a learner, we discuss the value of making mistakes, we recognise that learning can at times be difficult and we celebrate the journey that we take whilst learning and not just the final outcome itself.
We want our children to be curious, inquisitive and questioning of the world around them and therefore we provide learning opportunities that are based around challenge, investigation, first-hand experiences and practical learning.
To find out more about the curriculum we offer, please take a look at all the curriculum information on our website which you can find under the 'Curriculum' tab at the top of the main home page.